Wednesday 18 November 2015

On an interesting discovery regarding headlights

A couple of weeks ago, my somewhat elderly headlight was acting up. I love the old dear as it is easy to clip onto the front of my helmet and reasonably bright. Alas, it is no longer for sale and to be honest, I am not sure which company made it back in the day as it lacks logos. However, I have had it for at least six or seven years and I rather like it. Its major fault is that it is powered by three AAA batteries which is an awkward number for rechargeable batteries. Thankfully, after I applied a little TLC (in the form of filing away some corrosion on the battery contacts) it has regained its reliability.

Nonetheless, I passed away an idle hour or two surfing the net for a potential replacement.  I was vaguely annoyed that nothing in my casual survey met my rough criteria of "front-of-helmet-mounted" and "internally rechargeable" headlamp. However, I was interested to see that there is a website more or less dedicated to bike lights. What a time to be alive.

1 comment:

Margo and Chris said...

Thanks for that good reference page about lights. I shall look at it in detail, and also forward the link to Caitlin as she has just asked me for advice on getting something good for her sister Molly's commuting. I gave my two cents worth based on personal and outdated experience.
Margo