Sunday 26 July 2015

On a warm welcome in the Soo


I was met at YAM airport by Wayne, Greg's father and we drove to their house where I met Nancy, Greg's mother and Mitsui, a Japanese exchange student. They made me feel at home and fed me lasagna.

This morning, after a breakfast of pancakes and bacon, I assembled Leonardo in the garage and to him for a spin to check nothing was amiss. Aside from a couple of very minor adjustments, nothing was.  After Wayne and I put my duffel on the bus, I rode into downtown for some sightseeing. First a historic site with two buildings both over two hundred years old. Then I went to a canal related historic site. After a late lunch, I visited the Norgoma, the packet steamer on the Great Lakes. It had served the small communities on the North Shore of Lake Huron until 1963 when the Trans-Canada Highway made it redundant.  It had a second career as a car ferry between Manitolin Island and the Bruce Peninsula before being retired. While I was on board, I saw the Indiana Harbor, a thousand foot long lake "boat" sail down St Mary's River. I then took in the Bush Plane museum again.

A good day. Tomorrow looks like it will fairly hot but the forecast has the wind coming from a favourable direction.

Wayne is a retired employee from Bell. He has worked all over Northern Ontario and has been a font of knowledge. When I revealed that I was going to Thessalon tomorrow, he correctly guessed the name of the motel I will staying at! (The Carolyn Beach Motel)

No comments: