Saturday 5 November 2011

On Air Canada flight 194

Definition of irony or possibly adding insult to injury: after losing much sleep over the possible Air Canada strike, I am sharing an Airbus 321 with a load of CUPE members returning from a convention. Some of them are apparently incapable of finding their seat on the proper side of the aircraft causing additional delays in loading Air Canada's longest single aisle aircraft. I have no great opinion of these people. They come across as if they don't listen worth shit. Maybe this is why they rejected two contract proposals in a row.

Then again, some sources suggest that social media is part of the issue. I have wondered if the growth of such networking could be dangerous as false information can spread too easily. Also, it brings the possibility of mob mentality and somewhere Terry Pratchett wrote something to the effect that a mob is only as smart as its dumbest member.

The flight was full and the overhead bins were jammed with carry-on luggage, some of them oversized. This meant I had to put my carry-on bag at my feet. This reduced the already-limited legroom available to me.

Northern Ontario rears its head. At our current rate, roughly two hours of a four and half hour flight will be spent crossing it. And people wonder why I don't want to bike across it.

No comments: