Sunday 24 October 2010

On some gems from a conversation

Last week I was chatting on the phone with Mummy about my possible trip to Australia and matters arising therefrom. The maternal unit was looking at where the various places I was talking about in her atlas (bought for her by yours truly). The process, she looked at the map of Niue and commented that it would be an easier country to bicycle around, even having a circumferential road. Given the Niue is only slightly larger than Jersey, that isn't very hard! My comment was that it might even be possible to bike around the country in the time it would take to refuel the plane!

Also in the conversation, Mummy facetiously asked how would the Aussies react to me walking into one of their hotels after day on the bike, i.e. all hot and sweaty. I replied that I didn't think it was much an issue as Australia as a whole is 1. a fairly hot and sweaty place and 2. the Aussies are a very laid back bunch of people, as whole. Also, given that Aussies backpackers are nearly ubiquitous in most places around the World, I don't think they have much to complain about. Furthermore, the "hotels" of which I spoke are in fact outback pubs, and therefore rather less formal.

No comments: