Saturday 13 March 2010

On where the snow has gone

After making the previous post, I rode die Fledermoose over to the other side of downtown for some lunch. I decided to come home via Mount Royal Park. I took the Olmsted road up to near Beaver Lake.

As I had suspected, there was still snow covering much of the route. However, thanks to the knobby Kenda Kommando tires that Floria came with, I still had reasonable traction. The snow and ice remained a challenge as their consistency varied significantly causing a few abrupt stops. I wasn't traveling fast on account of the slippery conditions, the slight uphill grade and the presence of more than a few pedestrians. It was actually kind of kind fun to be "playing" in the snow with Floria. To be honest, I had suspected that this would be the case when I decided on returning home via Mount Royal. (While I have often said that I don't bike in the snow, I made an exception for today as the road was fairly hard packed and they don't use salt on it.)

I will eventually swap the 700x35C Kommandos for the 700x28C "street" tires the Castafiore was rolling on at the end, but for now die Fledermoose will retain her "winter" tires.

No comments: