Monday 22 February 2010

On a likely tour of Northern Great Britain

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships-- and sealing wax--of cabbages--and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

I probably don't need to give you the reference to that.

Over the weekend, I took the plunge and inquired of one of my Scottish relatives if I might impose upon his hospitality, and when it might best suite him. Cousin John (not to be confused with Margo's John or my uncle John to be discussed later in this in entry) seems very happy to receive me in May, so it seems May will be the month of my next jaunt.

My intention is ride from York to Glasgow, via Edinburgh and (this is sticking bit) Campbeltown, which is the nearest Scottish town to Ireland. This cannot be described as an even vaguely direct or possibly even sensible route as it takes in a certain amount of the Highlands. However, the scenery will be spectacular, and the Highlands are simply aren't as high as the Western Cordillera of Canada. One particularly un-sensible bit will likely be going out of my way to go via Glen Croe, a.k.a. Rest and be Thankful. Said route is steep, but spectacular. Also, you can stop at "Rest and be Thankful" which almost by itself makes the whole exercise worthwhile.

As I estimate it will only take me about two weeks to get from York to Glasgow via this "ridiculous" route, it is my intention to stop in to see my aunt Isabel, her husband John and assorted descendants of theirs near on my way back to London via a combination of train and bike. My aunt Isabel is, as have already discussed, quite possibly mad but has a marvelous joie de vivre that more than makes up for it.

Anyway, I have made preliminary inquiries with my superior about taking the time off in May and she seemed amenable. Here's to hoping.

No comments: