Sunday 18 May 2008

On another trial run

I am spending the long weekend with the parents in North Hatley. I got out here by a combination of bus and bike. I put Leonardo with bags and all on the bus to Magog. From Magog, I cycled to North Hatley, but not by the direct route. Instead of going via Katevale, (a.k.a. Sainte-Catherine de Hatley) and the dreaded Katevale hill, I rode down besides the Magog river to Sherbrooke on the réseau des Grandes Fourches bike path network. There, I lunched at Louis'. From Sherbrooke, I made my way to Lennoxville, and from there took the granddaddy of local bike paths to North Hatley.

While this route was significantly flatter than the Katevale hill, it was also much longer. According to Google Maps, the direct route is about 17 kms. My route was 50 kms and very scenic it was, passing at least four sites where beavers were in evidence as well as seeing moose tracks.

Another reason for the trip was to see how well I remembered riding with fullish panniers on my bike. I think I did fairly well.

No comments: