Tuesday 22 January 2008

On the utility of family and friends, not to mention drinks

Over the last couple of weeks, I have identified at least two potential beds for the nights on my route. The first is a cousin who lives in Quebec city or thereabouts. From the sounds of things, she should have the space to accommodate a cousin for a night or two. If this works out, it would be especially useful given the potential difficulties of finding lodgings in Quebec City this summer.

The second potential bed, came about from a phone call to my sister, Alice, in Norris Point. I had called to find out her mailing address. She had just arrived back from Corner Brook, where, among other things, she had stopped by a friend from North Hatley, who now lived there. Aha! Thinks I, another potential person with a couch to crash on!

The conversation drifted off on a tangent which led to a discussion of drinks, including the Vesper (the drink invented by James Bond/Ian Fleming). Alice wanted to know the recipe. I promised to send it to her. In the process, I mused about Iceberg Vodka and should someone invent a Newfoundland Martini. I later looked up Iceberg Vodka on the net, only to discover that the company also makes Gin. This led me to come up with this Newfoundland variation on the Vesper:

2 oz Iceberg Gin
1 oz Iceberg Vodka
1/4 oz Cloudberry liqueur

Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake. Strain into a cocktail glass. Drink after biking.

No comments: